Monday, November 15, 2010

Verbal2

"Come on now, don't stall."  A womanly voice calls from the hallway.  I walk to the doorway into what looks like a dentist's waiting room.  Plush felt chairs line the seemingly endless wall, a cracked pattern of paper covering it lovingly.

"Its something isn't it?  It seems to captivate all the newcomers, and even some ancient ones."  I turn to look at the voice.  It is a homely woman...or I suppose she-demon...rather I guess just demon, sitting behind a desk stacked with papers.  "It goes on for as long as you want it to, simply amazing really."  She sighs longingly, like a forlorn lover.

"Is this really Hell?"  I ask her.

"Oh no silly, this is Limbo.  You just recently returned from Hell.  Rather gruesome place isn't it?"  she smiles rather flatteringly.  She shuffles the papers around on her desk, seemingly lost in thought.  She knocks a bottle, of what looks like water, marked with an 'L' to the ground.  I turn to look again down the hallway.  A never ending passageway...

"Here you go!  Have a nice trip!"  She hands me a long strip of rolled thick paper and continues shuffling around things on her desk.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" I ask her as I take the scroll.

"Oh my!  I'm so sorry, I tend to be forgetful from time to time."  Her smile dazzles me.  She scribbles something on a notepad and hands it to me.  "Just walk on down the hallway until you feel comfortable and say whats on that note.  You'll zip on straight to where you need to be."  Again her mind wanders, papers shuffling frantically.  I take a look at the note:

 Jhnjjhr'ghusdf  

I frown.  I put the note in my jacket pocket, switch the briefcase to my right side, and begin walking down the endless hallway.

2 comments: