Thursday, November 11, 2010

Verbal1

I'm walking down a spiral staircase. There's nothing else around me, no light, no sounds. The air is cool, but I'm comfortable. The stairs themselves are made of some stone, maybe granite, I can't really tell. I'm not wearing shoes, so the steps are fresh on my soles. Actually...I'm completely naked, but I don't feel that way. I notice a railing, its made of a dark brown wood, maybe mahogany. I shrug, who knows. I can't remember why I'm walking down these steps, I can't remember how I got on this staircase...I can't even remember my name now that I think about it. All I see are stairs below me, stairs above me, and blackness around me. I guess I'll just keep on going down these stairs...

I don't really know how long its been, but no matter how far I go down they never seem to end.  I'm worried what I'll do when I get tired...but it doesn't seem like that'll happen here. My purpose seems to be to go down and down and down and down and down....

...and down and...wait. I see a light of some sort...a hazy red aura in the darkness. Suddenly I feel something. Excitement fills me, I had forgotten what it was to feel. I rush down the steps, feeding eagerly on the red haze. The steps feel like they are warming, or maybe its my mind playing tricks on me. No...no...the steps are definitely getting hotter, losing their cool stoney feel with each step downward. I slow down, scared. Where the hell am I?

Suddenly, I'm no longer on a staircase. I'm in a nicely upholstered room, a fireplace lit and roaring. I'm wearing a business suite, a red tie around my neck, leather briefcase in my hand. There's a massive oak desk in front of me, a recliner turned behind it so I can't see who's sitting in it.

"I see you finally made it." a voice comes from the chair.

"The elevator was broken, so I had to take the stairs." my voice, but I'm sure my mouth didn't move.

"No worries, we have all the time in the world down here." the chair-voice continues.

"All the time in the world..." this time my mouth does move.

"Are you prepared for the task at hand?" the chair inquires. 

"The task..." I have no idea what the chair is talking about.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making everyone believe he didn't exist. Its time for that to end." The chair turned about, slowly. There sitting in it, is the spitting image of a perfect human being. I can't really describe it, everything about his being is flawless. Perfect hair, striking face, bottomless entrancing eyes. Even his voice is rich and filled with encouragement. I never want him to stop talking, to stop looking at me. I realize I'm shaking. I am terrified. The man in the chair smiles at me. I'm filled with warmth, a euphoria that I have never experienced before in my life. It is amazing...and sad at the same time.

"You'll be taken care of handsomely once your task is completed. Do not fail me. There's no place here for failures." He smiles again, chuckling to himself. I laugh with him, not knowing why. "Well...almost no place."

Searing pain. My eyes are being melted, my skin is falling off, my nails plucked from my fingers and toes, slowly and monotonously. My hair is being burned off by acid, my limbs are being torn off, my insides are scrambled and forced out of me. I have never experienced such horror until this very moment. Yet even now, as they tilt a cauldron of molten lava down my throat, I know I can manage. I know that this is my purpose, my sole being, my one reason for being alive. I feel like crying, but I know it is pointless, my eyes no longer exist. I feel like screaming out, but I know it is meaningless, my throat and voice long destroyed. They leave me, no longer a recognizable human being, but a lump of meat, a destroyed misshapen carcass, not fit to even be disposed of. But I know it is all-right, that things will work out in the end. I remember that mines smile, his golden hair, his deep perfect blue eyes. And his voice. I can hear it now, calling my name, beckoning me forth, bringing me out of despair.

"Demon Arch, your time has come."

And I guess that's how I became a demon.

7 comments: