Thursday, November 18, 2010

Verbal4

"I'll take one cheese, one fully loaded, and one with just tomatoes." I hand the
cashier money. Being a demon has its perks, one being able to conjure just about
anything. I stand aside to let an older gentleman order and pay. He is grizzled,
gray streaking his unshaven face, his face wrinkled like a lost shirt in the trunk
of a car, his hair only white wisps of air. suddenly I change, I too am older,
wearing a light blue parka and khaki pants, with a Mets ball cap covering my
graying hair. Shock! I am watching myself!

Do not worry human, I am your demon aspect.
Demon aspect? I am a demon!
Not yet, Arch. There is a waylay period after transformation where humanity
lingers. It is a troublesome thing to rid oneself of, humanity.
What are you doing?(I realize that I'm quite really worried.)
Doing what I must. Feasting.

An evil intent fills my core briefly, before washing out into a sea of tranquility.
I am frozen, unable to "think" thoughts freely. All I know now is demon.

DEMON
The human world. Its disgusting. Filth litters every inch, feelings smother the
air like a dark heavy smoke. Their thoughts resound off every surface, a laughable
cacophony of ignorance. Their essence intrudes into everything they surround,
like selfish parasites intent on gorging themselves to oblivion.

"Chilly night out eh?" I throw out the net, subtly. The old man turns around
recognizing me as an old friend.

"Tommy? Tommy it is you! How are you doing? How's the family?" He moves to
embrace me. I grit my teeth, dreading the contact with this waste of essence.

"Good, good. Both good I mean! Hahahaha." Worthless fake humor. He laughs
anyway, ignorant in his own demise. "Let me grab these pies. You should come for
dinner, we can reminisce! Oh the good ol' times." He smiles and shakes his head
longingly. Humans and their selfishness, always wanting more and never thankful
for what they have.

"Sure, sure." I conjure a bottle of very expensive high class whiskey, only
available to the denizens of the furnace. "I just so happen to have this
on me." I show him an evil grin, masked by camaraderie. I take a deep
swig, wiping my mouth afterward, exaggerating how tantalizing it is. He quivers,
swallowing down temptation.

"Oh no, I can't. I've been sober 20 years..."

"For old times sake?" I hand him the bottle.

No! Stop! You can't! You'll destroy him! 
Silence fool. I am at work here.
This is not my mission! Leave the poor fellow alone!

I growl inwardly, handing the bottle to the man. He wavers, eying the bottle and
then me, as if looking for some sort of acceptance. Idiot. I nudge the bottle
closer and smile.

The trap is laid, the bait is set, the prey has fallen. He takes the bottle and
brings it to his lips, the cold liquid hitting his tongue, sending chills down his
body. The liquid flows through his veins, his failure complete. That man, when he
returns to his home tonight, will no longer be the man his family knew. The man is
now no more than an empty husk;with his soul I walk away into the darkness.



No comments:

Post a Comment